This is a page on my second year cobweb project…
For this project the brief indicated that we had to design a size 12 women’s skirt. I decided to expand the convensional ideas of skirt designs and explore the idea of the tutu. This was both a historic costume and a modern garment, as it had recently experienced a resurgence in fashion fall/winter 2008. Expanding on this idea I experimented with various textile methods and analysed historic and contemporary tutu garment construction to begin designing my own tutu for this project.
Above are examples of the digital and 3d sketchbook my work was presented in.
This bird was embroidered with colourful threads and decorated with gold leaf on silk.
Quilted Machine Embroidered
I was really pleased with this machine embroidered flower, so much so that I decided
to use it on my final tutu design
The cobweb effect was created by wrapping the wool around twice on one row, and dropping
a stitch the next row. This was repeated throughout the pattern. I used this technique in my final tutu as well.
This knitting pattern is quite complex and involves twisted the work at different angles, the
final effect is a woven 3d impression, although all of the stitches are connected together.
This is just a small sample of the huge piece of felt I made for my tutu waist to hip band. The final piece was approximately a metre long and 0.6 metres wide, the base was constructed of cream felt, with various recycled fibres including banana. This fitted with the eco- friendly concepts of my project.
Below are the final images of my cobweb project…
I was really pleased with my cobweb project. I felt that I expanded the brief and experimented broadly with textiles. The Knitting and Stitching show in London helped me to gain diverse tactile fibres to work with. My exploration of historic and contemporary design helped fuel my imagination for alternative tutu construction.